Chocolate Malteser Cake
250g self raising flour
250g soft brown sugar
50 g cocoa powder
250 g plain chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
4 eggs, lightly beaten
For the icing: 400g plain or milk chocolate
284ml pot single cream
100-200g icing sugar
175g pouch of Maltesers
You will need 2 x 18cm sandwich cake tins
- Heat the oven 160ºC conventional (shelf below centre), fan oven 150ºC, gas mark 3 (centre shelf). Base line the cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour, sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate and butter with 200ml of water in a pan, gently.
- Add to the flour with the eggs. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. They may crack a little on the surface.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tins and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool fully.
- To make the icing: melt the chocolate with the cream and butter until smooth. Allow to cool until it is spreadable and beat in enough icing sugar to make the mixture stiff.