Steamed Marmalade Pudding
115g (4 oz) soft butter
115g (4 oz) caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
2 free range eggs, beaten
140g (5 oz) self raising flour
2 tbsp marmalade
1 tbsp marmalade
150ml British crème fraîche
Juice of the orange
Sugar to taste
Dash of orange liqueur, optional
1. Butter a 1.2 litre (2 pint) pudding basin.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together with the orange zest, gradually add the eggs, then fold in the flour.
3. Place the marmalade into the bottom of the prepared pudding basin, then spoon over the pudding mixture. Cover with a disc of baking parchment and place a double thickness of foil over the top of the basin. Tie the foil on with string, leaving enough to be able to lift the pudding out of the saucepan. Put the basin in a large saucepan and pour in boiling water to come half-way up the side of the basin, simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer the covered saucepan, complete with water and pudding to the Simmering Oven.
5. Steam for about 1½ hours in the Simmering Oven, until the pudding is cooked through. To make the sauce: heat the marmalade with the crème fraîche and orange juice – add sugar to taste if you use a bitter marmalade and a dash of orange liqueur if liked.
Turn the pudding out onto a serving dish and serve with the marmalade sauce.