Hot Cross Buns
450g (1lb) strong plain flour
55g (2oz) caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
75g (3oz) mixed peel
225ml (8fl oz) of milk and water mixed
55g (2oz) butter, melted
1 free range egg
For the crosses:
25g (1oz) plai flour
cold water to mix
For the glaze:
3 tbsp sugar
This mixture makes 12 Hot Cross Buns.
1. Weigh the flour. Put into a mixing bowl and mix in the sugar, salt, spice, yeast, raisins and peel. Make a well in the centre. Heat the milk and water until warm (tepid), add to the flour mixture with the melted butter and egg.
2. Mix to a dough and knead for 5 minutes, then divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and knead each into a smooth ball.
3. Place onto the AGA Cold Plain Shelf or the large Hard Anodised Baking Tray lined with Bake-O-Glide and cover with oiled cling film or similar- brush a little oil over the cling film, this stops the dough sticking to the covering. Leave to rise, or prove, next to the AGA until doubled in size. This could take 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.
4. To make the crosses, mix the flour with enough cold water to form a paste. Fill a small piping bag and pipe a cross over each bun.
5. Slide the cold plain shelf onto the third set of runners down in the Roasting Oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, turning once, until golden and the base sounds hollow when tapped.
6. For the glaze use a small saucepan to dissolve the sugar in the water on the Simmering Plate. Brush the glaze over the cooked buns with a brush and return to the Roasting Oven for 2 minutes.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or toasted the next day with butter or cream cheese.
Bake at 220 degrees C (425 degrees F), fan oven 200 degrees C, Gas Mark 7 for about 15 minutes until golden and the base sounds hollow when tapped.
Tips - If you have any left over Hot Cross Buns they are delicious toasted or why not use them to make Hot Cross Pudding- buttered halved buns soaked in a rich custard mixture and cooked at a moderate heat for 25 - 30 minutes.