French Onion Soup
55g (2 oz) butter
700g (1½ lb) onions, quartered and sliced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1–2 tsp sugar
Salt and black pepper
300ml (½ pint) white wine
600ml (1 pint) stock
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
8 slices of Baguettine (narrow French bread)
25g (1 oz) Gruyère cheese, grated
1. Melt the butter in a large base AGA saucepan. Add the onions, garlic and sugar. Cover the pan and gently cook the onions until they are soft, but not coloured. Start on the Simmering Plate then move to the Simmering Oven, this should take about 20–30 minutes.
2. Remove the lid from the pan and cook on the Simmering Plate to reduce the liquid and until the onions are just beginning to brown. Season and add the wine, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil.
3. Transfer to the Simmering Oven and simmer for about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile make the topping. Place the slices of bread onto a piece of Bake-O-Glide on the plain shelf and divide the Gruyère cheese between them. Place the shelf directly on the floor of the Roasting Oven and cook for about 5 minutes, until the bases are browned and the cheese is beginning to melt on top.
5. To serve, place the slices of cheese toast into a tureen or bowl and ladle over the soup. Each person should have a slice of cheese toast with their soup. Bon appetite!