115g (4 oz) self raising flour
25g (1 oz) caster sugar
150ml (¼ pint) milk
Maple syrup or honey or spread with butter
1. Place the flour and sugar into a basin, mix together.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and half the milk. Whisk together, adding the remainder of the milk to make a smooth batter.
3. Lightly oil the Simmering Plate with a little oil on a piece of kitchen paper.
4. Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the surface. Cook one side then flip over and cook the other.
5. Keep warm in a clean tea towel and serve with maple syrup or honey, warmed at the back of the AGA – or you can spread them with softened butter.