Citrus and Pine Nut Tart
175g (6 oz) butter, straight from the ‘fridge
350g (12 oz) plain flour
25g (1 oz) icing sugar
2 egg yolks
Water to mix
150g (5½ oz) butter, softened
150g (5½ oz) caster sugar
150g (5½ oz) ground almonds
Rind of 1 lemon grated
2 medium free range eggs
6 tbsp marmalade
8 glacé orange slices
25g (1 oz) pine nuts
1. Make the pastry by rubbing the butter into the flour and icing sugar, continue until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add the egg yolks and enough water to form a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to fit the baking tray, if you have any left-over pastry (it depends how thick or thin you like the crust) use it for a few open top mince pies. Place the pastry lined baking tray in the fridge.
3. For the filling, beat the butter with the sugar and stir in the ground almonds, grated lemon zest and the eggs.
4. Spread the marmalade over the pastry base and top with the almond mixture, level the top. Place the glacé orange slices over the top and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
5. Bake on the floor of the Roasting Oven for about 20 minutes until golden, with the cold plain shelf set on the second runners down. Turn the baking tray once after 15 minutes. (AGA City 24 owners use the floor grid).
6. Serve warm or cold with cream or crème fraiche.